Feeling low , or mildly depressed is one of the rising issues of the metros today. Many people experience from this for months and years and yet are unable to get out of it.
See the checklist below to recognize the signs and symptoms :
- There is no enthusiasm.
- Everything seems dull and monotonous.
- One stops taking care of oneself.
- One wants to avoid everyone.
- Eating mindlessly and without enjoyment is a daily routine.
- Excessive sleeping.
- Use of alcohol, smoking go up.
- Feeling of listlessness and life seems to lack joy.
Many people use the following coping mechanism to get out of the low listless feeling. The coping mechanism could be
- Watching Television or Internet endlessly.
- Eating mindlessly.
- Excessive smoking.
The reasons for feeling low can be numerous but the end result is always the same. It is important to explore the way forward. Men and women respond differently to this situation, men become irritable, and incline towards addictions to cope with boredom, anxiety and a low feeling. Women on the other hand withdraw into a shell.
- Call a friend who is an optimist and a positive person, and listen with an open heart instead of talking.
- Get your favorite music and play it while you do your daily chores.
- Write down 7 things which you have and are grateful for. Gratitude is one of the major mood lifters. In several studies it has been seen that people tend to compare themselves to richer and more accomplished people and make themselves feel small and unhappy, leading to a feeling of dissatisfaction.
- Take up an activity which gives you happiness. It could be singing, painting, dancing, gardening or gym.
- Spend in small self indulgences like a body massage, or some beauty care product specially if you have never done it before. These small actions many times build a feeling of being wanted and worthy.
- Go to a temple, satsang, church, a spiritual place or join a class of self healing methods. You meet several positive like minded people and group therapy is much stronger than individual therapy.
- Light aroma incense sticks in the evening and put on soothing music.
- Get a book, if you enjoy reading.
- Meet an old friend for lunch, and laugh like old times.
- Take up yoga or dance aerobics, which is a sure shot way to change yourself.
- Get a healthy cooking recipe book and start changing your eating pattern. Unhealthy foods leads to unhealthy emotions.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is a major nutritional reason for feeling low.
- If you feel up to it then nothing beats become a volunteer in any social organization. Women are nurturing by nature and volunteer work synergizes with that basic need to help others. Volunteer work helps one increase their self worth, and feeling of contribution and worthiness.